Dogs are Popular Cartoon Characters
Dogs have been found for years, in some of the most
* Clifford is a large red dog that stars in
the cartoon Clifford the Big Red Dog, which is
based on Norman Bridwell's children's book of the same
* Brad Anderson's newspaper comic strip features Marmaduke,
the great dane after whom the strip is named.
* The talking great dane Scooby-Doo helps the
Mystery Inc. gang solve mysteries in the Hanna-Barbera
* In Scooby-Doo, Scrappy-Doo is a great
dane puppy and Scooby-Doo's nephew.
* Snoopy appears in Charles M. Schulz's comic
strip, Peanuts, and its related television specials
* Scott Adams' Dilbert comic strip features
Dogbert, a pet talking dog.
* The beagle Odie appears in Jim Davis' comic
strip Garfield and related films and television
* Astro is the talking pet dog of the Jetson
family in the Hanna-Barbera cartoon The Jetsons.
* The Nickelodeon children's show Blue's Clues
features a puppy named Blue.
* In Blue's Clues, Magenta is Blue's
* A main character in Seth MacFarlane's Family Guy
is Brian, the Griffin family's pet dog.
* Pluto appears as Mickey Mouse's pet dog in
some Disney productions.
* Goofy, a more anthropomorphic dog than Pluto,
appears in some Disney productions as a friend
of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.
* John R. Dilworth's television series Courage the
Cowardly Dog is named for Courage, an easily
frightened pet dog.
* The Terrytoons series Deputy Dawg features
Deputy Dawg, who serves as a sheriff in the state
* The superhero Underdog stars in the NBC series
of the same name.
* Nickelodeon's cartoon CatDog focuses on the
adventures of Dog, part of the cat-dog hybrid
for which the show is named.
* The cartoon The Ren & Stimpy Show, created
by Jon Kricfalusi, stars, in part, the chihuahua Ren.